Friday, December 14, 2012

DEVELOPMENT OF 2012 CHRISTMAS CARD PART 2

In a previous blog I showed the preparation I did for this year's holiday card. Every year I draw my own cards with different variations. I wanted to do something a little different.

As with all artwork I do, I start with a pencil sketch. This pencil is always a little rougher than my finished comic book pencils are:







So this year, instead of doing a traditional painting, I decided I wanted to "paint" the card digitally. This process starts by adding the basic colors just like in a painting that's done by hand:




After this I started adding details. Because this was something new, it took me a while to get a feel for what I was doing. Eventually, things clicked and I was able to render a good face:


Once that was done, the rest fell into place pretty quickly:


After the faces were nailed down I began to concentrate of the smaller details:









So how did the finished product come out? The finished card will be shown in a future post closer to the holiday.