Thursday, March 10, 2011

KONG: KING OF SKULL ISLAND #3

In the fall of 2007, I was contacted by Markosia, who I was drawing Heretic for. They needed help with another project.  Dan O' Connor, who was drawing a King Kong limited series for them wasn't going to be able to work on two issues and they asked me if I'd be interested in drawing them. The series, Kong: King Of Skull Island, was based on a book illustrated by Joe Devito and co-written by Brad Strickland.  The book was a sequel to the King Kong story, following the footsteps of Carl Denham's son, Vincent,  as he travels to Skull Island to locate his missing father. In the course of the story, we discover Kong's backstory. The first issue I drew was #3.




In the pages that follow, redrawn for the trade paperback, Kong's parents fight the dinosaur Gaw while young Kong watches:





















Who knew that young Kong saw his parents killed in front of him? If he had been in Gotham City, he would have become Batman!

Joe devito, who came up with this concept is an excellent illustrator. He took time to point things out to me where my artwork needed improvement and really helped me look some different paths when approaching the characters. His book can be found HERE and the TPB ( that I drew) is HERE