Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DRAWING KONG



Back in 2007, I was asked by Markosia to draw two issues of their limited series KONG: KING OF SKULL ISLAND. Because of timing issues, the workload increased from just penciling 2 issues to penciling one issue (issue 3), penciling and inking an issue and a half (issues 4 & 5). Unfortunately, the time I had in which to do this was cut in half -  14 pages of issue 4 in 2 weeks, and 27 pages of issue 5 in 3 weeks. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a full time job during weekdays (that some times blends into weekends as well).  So how did it turn out? Well...

Here's the cover of issue 4 - definitely
the best art of the issue. ( I didn't draw it)

This is pages 20 & 21 of the issue - a double page spread.

Cover of Kong #5

The pencils and inks of issue 5, page one

So what do you think? Not too bad? Well, Markosia asked me if I was interested in redrawing the art for the trade. I'd have more time to make the pages look the way I wanted them to in the first place. Feeling very George Lucas like, I agreed. Here's the final result:

The cover of the Kong trade, published Oct. 2009


The original printed pages next to the ones reworked for the trade.



Overall, I think the final pages turned out fairly decent. This project was nice because I got go back and do it right, which does not always happen. I feel very fortunate for having the opportunity to do that.