Monday, February 14, 2011

THE CREATIVE PROCESS PART 4- DRAWING MARIE CURIE


In late 2005, I received a phone call from Capstone Press. They had a project that I had sent in samples for, the life story of Marie Curie, and they liked the samples and wanted me to draw it. Although I had drawn a short comic feature for a compilation that the people I work with were doing, was working on pages for my own project, and had spent the previous summer painting over a hundred celebrity faces for a book that never saw the light of day. This project scarred the hell out of me. Why? Because it would be the first professional comic book work that I was doing for someone.  Once I started working, everything went just fine.



They sent me a huge folder full of reference. Between that and some clothing books I bought pertaining to that time period, I was all set. They sent me a template for the way the pages were to be laid out. I went out and bought a digital camera and started taking reference shots. I was contracted to provide thumbnails ( they referred to them as "storyboards"), pencil and color 12 "spreads" which ended up being 24  individual pages. Here are the results:



Overall this was a fun project. If you are interested in getting a copy, it can be found HERE or HERE