Tuesday, January 18, 2011

ADVENTURES IN INKING PART 1

For anyone who doesn't know, inking is the act of refining comic book pencil art by adding permanent ink linework and blacks to the art over the pencils. I am, first and foremost, a penciler. Yes, I paint. In a pinch I can color. But penciling is my love.  So what happens when I'm asked to ink something? It's not my favorite thing in the world, but I'll do it if I have to.

The good thing about me inking my own work is that I have complete control over it. There have been times where my pencils have come back and the person inking them has only traced over them. That makes the art look flat. Inking, despite what people may think, is not tracing - there is a skill to it. If I'm inking myself, then I don't have to worry about that.

The bad thing about me inking my own work is that I have complete control over it. If something goes wrong, I'm the guy who's to blame for it.  As I said before, inking is a skill, and one I haven't had as much experience with.

There are 2 ways in which I've inked myself. The first is over my very tight complete pencils. An example of this can be seen in Len Strazewski's story TRUE COLORS (2006).


As you can see, The pencils leave very little mystery to the way this should be finished. 

The other way is to have very loose pencils, which was the case with Markosia's KONG: KING OF SKULL ISLAND TPB ( 2009). 




Because of time constraints, it was impossible to do tight, finished pencils for this project. This was actually a fun way to work, because the finish looked so much better than the breakdowns.

Inking is a skill that I am still developing. I think it is enjoyable, but not easy. In time, I hope I become as comfortable with it as I am with penciling.