Thursday, January 13, 2011

WHY "15 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT"?

Yeah, why did I pick such a strange name? Well, 15 Minutes To Midnight is for me what THX 1138 is to George Lucas. It's the title of the first comic story that I conceived.

This is the wrap around cover for the story

A painted version of the first page

Back when I was a student at American Academy Of Art in Chicago, I came up with this great  Twilight Zone-like story which came from images of how people living in the 1930's might envision the future. Instead of the post-apocalyptic futures we've been treated to over the past 30 years I wanted to make a place that looked great on the outside but was a bit more insidious on the inside. 








The story bounced the main character to 3 different time periods, all of which seemed both familiar and strange. One of those time periods takes place in the 1940's during World War II.



The title was inspired by the Doomsday Clock.  I think it's interesting that scientists have charted how close the human race is to complete destruction. It's also interesting to see how that time has moved closer and further away from the zero hour over the years.

So what happened to this story? Well, I have it completely planned out in my head.  It's 3 chapters long ( each chapter being about 20 pages) and the first 2 chapters have been penciled. I've just gotten too busy with other projects to finish it.  Also, in all honesty, I have to admit that the artwork isn't as good as the stuff I'm producing now.  I feel that I'll have to redraw the whole thing before it can see publication. However, I am planning on finishing it, so perhaps someday soon it will see the light of day.